Sunday, May 26, 2013

Motivation ... or the lack thereof.


I will gladly admit that I am a very driven and achieving individual.  I have been called an overachiever by a few people as well.  I take great pride in the work I’ve done so far, both personally and professionally.  I may not have accomplished everything I want in life quite yet, but I do consider myself to be quite young still. If all goes to plan, I have many, many great years ahead of me.  I intend to take advantage of every single one.

Most days, I am pretty motivated.  The intensity of the motivation varies from a teensy bit motivated/I got myself out of bed, what more do you want? to I CAN CONQUER THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD.  I say that I typically lie between the two extremes: Let’s get sh-t done!

From TurboFire's FB page.
However, there are days when my motivation is at the low end.  Just barely in the I got myself out of bed category.  These typically happen when I am low on energy or just in a horrendous mood … or both.  I’ve had more of those days than I can count since I started graduate school.  As I’ve previously mentioned, grad school and internship can be so draining, physically and mentally.  I didn’t know my brain could be this tired; however it does make sense.  I am utilizing a lot of mental and physical energy, despite me trying to deny it sometimes.

As with almost everyone out there, I lose motivation to do things sometimes.  Specifically exercising.  My first round of TurboFire, I only missed a total of about 5 days, but I backed up a week and really only skipped one workout.  My second round (the one I am currently in), I’ve missed … quite a few days.  More than five.  I don’t know that it was and is about 2013 thus far, but my energy levels seems to deplete quite quickly.

I find that not being motivated is so discouraging.  I hate feeling unmotivated.  For the most part, I really enjoy working out, especially to TurboFire.  But those days where I just want to sit on my couch and do nothing – well, I just sit on my couch and do nothing.

These unmotivated days do not last long, but I find myself really struggling to be motivated sometimes.  So what works for me?  I’ve found that I need reminders of how far I have come in terms of fitness and life in general.

From TurboFire's FB page.
  • The fact that, at age 16, I weighed 190 lbs., possibly more, and that at age 28, I weigh almost 60 lbs. less.   I look better and am much healthier than I was at 16.
  • The fact that, two years ago, I got serious about losing weight and have managed to keep the weight off since then.
  • The fact that I can complete something like the Fire 60 class for TurboFire and not pass out at the end.
  • The fact that I can complete a workout program while still doing school and internship
  • The fact that I can look at my body in the mirror and not be completely disgusted by it.
  • The fact that I can go up a flight of stairs without wanting to die.
  • The fact that I wanted to do something with my life – thus, master’s in clinical psychology with a specialization in counseling psychology and moving to Chicago to do so. 


Once I start thinking about what I have done so far, the motivation starts creeping back in.  If I need an extra push, I go to Chalene Johnson’s or TurboFire's Facebook page and look at some of the inspirational quotes she posts.  They’re always so positive and sometimes the one last thing I need to read before I scamper off to change into my workout clothes.

What do you do to get yourself motivated – not just for working out, but for work, school, life?

No comments:

Post a Comment